BEDDINGTON AND WALLINGTON URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL: SOUVENIR OF THE OFFICIAL OPENING OF THE TOWN HALL, WALLINGTON
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 6114
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1935
- Format: Archives
- Admin History: The Urban District Council of Beddington and Wallington, consisting of the area covered by the two parishes, was created by an Order of the Surrey County Council on 13 September 1913 and by a Confirming Order of the Local Government Board dated 18 November 1914. It came into existence on 1 April 1915. Before 1915 the parishes of Beddington and Wallington formed part of the Rural District of Croydon.
The Council first met at 37 Manor Road which had previously been occupied by Wallington Parish Council. The site of the new Town Hall at 'Sunny Bank', Woodcote Road, was purchased in 1929. The architect of the building was Robert Atkinson of 13 Manchester Square, London.
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For a yearbook of Beddington and Wallington UDC, 1927-1928 see CC158/1. For records relating to the proposed incorporation of Beddington and Wallington Urban District, 1936-1938, see CC28/799B and for a souvenir booklet of the granting of the charter of incorporation in September 1937 see 3709. Records relating to Beddington and Wallington UDC Health Department , 1930-1954 are held as CC183 and photographs of Wallington Town Hall in 1953 as CC54/56 and 57.
- Access Status: Open. There are no access restrictions.
- Provenance: Presented by the County Archivist, Wiltshire Record Office, in October 1992.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.