TWELVE OAKS FARM, INCLUDING PIPERS AND NIBBS CROFT, WINDLESHAM AND CHOBHAM: DEEDS, ACCOUNTS AND PAPERS
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 638
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1675-1932
- Format: Archives
- Admin History: The incomplete titles traced below indicate that by the late 17th century the yeomen of Windlesham were breaking up the old customary holdings to their own convenience. Some units had been converted to freehold, others were still copyhold. Any units called "Pipers" were, by implication, once the land of 14th century tenant John le Pipere (see The Place-names of Surrey, p 154). Once fragmented each separate piece tended to retain the name of the medieval owner, thus creating, confusingly, more than one holding with the same name. The depositor implies in his correspondence that both 'Pipers' and 'Nibbs Croft' were later absorbed into Twelve Oaks Farm.
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For further deeds relating to Pipers Farm and Nibbs Croft see 2488.
- Access Status: Open. There are no access restrictions.
- Provenance: Presented by D J Glanfield, Twelve Oaks Farm, Windlesham, between April 1964 and October 1973.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.