Kingswood, St Andrew: Parish Records
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 6401
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1836-1990
- Format: Archives
- Description: At the time of the survey of the records, under the Parochial Registers and Records Measure, in 1976, some records were stored in an ornamental wooden chest in the church. They included service registers, vestry minutes and churchwardens' records and were lost when the chest was stolen from the church in the 1980s. For a schedule of these records see the survey list on the parish file.
- Admin History: A chapel existed at Kingswood, a detached liberty of the parish of Ewell, in the middle ages but had fallen into disuse by the sixteenth century. Kingswood was then without a church until 1835 when a building to seat 150 people was erected and consecrated in 1836. In 1838 a new ecclesiastical parish was formed from portions of the parishes of Ewell and Banstead. In 1937 part of the parish was taken to create the parish of Burgh Heath and further parts were lost in 1955 with the creation of the parish of Tadworth.
The church proved too small for the growing population and in 1848 work began on a larger building on a new site. The architect was Benjamin Ferry and the cost was met by Thomas Alcock, lord of the manor of Kingswood, who lived at Kingswood Warren. The church, modelled on that of Shottesbrooke, Berkshire, was completed in 1852. The original church continued to be used as a parish hall until its demolition in c.1921. A daughter church, dedicated to St Sophia or the Wisdom of God, was erected at Lower Kingswood in 1891.
- Level: Collection
- Access Status: Open
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.