Heatherside Estate, Camberley, The Property Of The Goldney Family: Deeds And Papers Relating To The Sale Of Portions Of The Estate
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 7030
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1886-1967
- Format: Archives
- Description: The records comprise bundles of deeds and papers chiefly relating to the sale of portions of the Heatherside estate by Sir Frederick Hastings Goldney, 3rd Bart (1845-1940) and Sir Henry Hastings Goldney, 4th Bart (1886-1974). Maps showing the whole estate and the portions sold are in -/1.
- Admin History: In 1860 Augustus Mongredien, a Swiss botanist, bought 300 acres of heath land adjoining the Maultway to the south of Upper Chobham Road in Camberley to start a silk farm, calling it Heatherside. The purchase was financed through a mortgage from Sir Gabriel Goldney of Chippenham, Wilts. The silk worms failed to flourish and Heatherside became a nursery but the company went bankrupt and Goldney foreclosed on the mortgage, taking possession of the newly built house and nursery. He was succeeded by his sons Sir Prior Goldney and Sir Frederick Goldney both of whom resided in Camberley (Sir Prior building Prior Place on the estate for himself) and further developed the estate. Part of the estate was sold to The Brompton Hospital as a tuberculosis sanatorium, which opened in 1904. Heatherside House was sold to Dr Walter Leaf in 1906 and other plots sold off in the ensuing years. Finally, in the late 1970s, the residue of the estate was sold to the Bovis Homes Company for development.
- Level: Collection
- Access Status: Open
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.