PIERREPONT SCHOOL, FRENSHAM: RECORDS
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 7747
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1947-2005
- Format: Archives
- Description: The records include admission registers; minutes of meetings of board of governors and executive committee; headmaster's and bursar's reports; form, house and school lists; school leaving forms; school notices; school magazines and prospectuses; and photographs.
- Admin History: Pierrepont School, formerly Pierrepont House School, was founded in 1947 by Thomas Joyce Parry as an independent school for boys. Parry had moved to Surrey from Petton Hall, Shropshire. While at Pierrepont, he set up the School Corps (Combined Cadet Force) and being its first commanding officer became known as 'Major Parry'. He retired from the school in 1955. The Combined Cadet Force was established in 1948 to persuade schoolboys to undertake pre-service training before embarking on a period of National Service. The CCF formed a major part in establishing the school's character, continuing long after compulsory National Service ended in the 1960s. Set up initially with only an Army section, a Royal Air Force section was formed in 1970 and a Royal Navy section in 1983. The training syllabus included leadership, adventure, first aid and personal survival training. The school's motto, 'A Posse ad Esse' (From Possibility To Realization), epitomised the CCF's and the school's main aspiration, to offer a sound, all-round general education while simultaneously developing pupils' characters through outdoor activities. Financial costs and constraints took their toll in the late 1980s and the need to build a new craft, technology and design centre, combined with the takeover of St George's Preparatory School in Farnham, contributed to the financial burden and the school eventually closed in 1993.
- Level: Collection
- Access Status: Open. Access restrictions may apply to minutes less than 30 years old and pupil and staff records less than 75 years old.
- Provenance: Presented by Mr D Strong of Aldershot in February 2005. Mr Strong was a former governor of the school and collected the records following the school's closure in 1993.
- Arrangement: This is a provisional box list.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.