ELEANOUR SINCLAIR ROHDE (1883-1950), GARDENER, OF REIGATE: SALE CATALOGUE
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 8029
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: ND [EARLY 20TH CENT]
- Format: Archives
- Admin History: Eleanour Sinclair Rohde (1883-1950) was a gardener, garden historian and horticultural writer. For much of her life she lived at Cranham Lodge, Reigate. She collected unusual herb and vegetable varieties and worked as a garden designer, doing much to encourage the popularity of herb gardens. One of her best known designs was the herb garden at Lullingstone Castle, Kent. Her many books included A Garden of Herbs, 1920.
- Level: Collection
- Access Status: Open. There are no access restrictions.
- Provenance: Purchased from Hinck & Wall, antiquarian book sellers, of Edmonds, Washington, USA, in September 2006.
- Bibliography: Betty Massingham, A Century of Gardeners, pp201-211, (London, Faber and Faber, 1982);
The Times, obituary, 24 June 1950;
Who was Who, vol IV, 1941-1950;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanour_Sinclair_Rohde, visited 25 September 2006
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.