FARNHAM URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL: ADDITIONAL RECORDS
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 8119
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: (1754)-1963
- Format: Archives
- Admin History: Farnham became an Urban District in January 1895 following the passing of the 1894 Local Government Act, previously having been administered for some 30 years by the Farnham Local Board. The district was enlarged by extensions in 1901, 1913, 1924 and 1933, when parts of the Farnham Rural District were included to make the area of the Urban District 9,039 acres.
The Urban District Council (unsuccessfully) applied for the grant of a charter of incorporation as a municipal borough in 1919 and 1956. The Urban District Council was dissolved in 1974 under the 1972 Local Government Act and Waverley District (now Borough) Council came into existence on 1 April 1974, taking over all its assets and responsibilities. Together with Farnham Urban District Council, Waverley District Council replaced Godalming Borough Council, Haslemere Urban District Council and Hambledon Rural District Council.
Farnham remained without a Town or Parish Council until 1984. In 1984, consent was granted to form Farnham Parish Council comprising eighteen elected members representing nine wards in the Parish of Farnham. The Parish Council then became known as Farnham Town Council in May 1984 and took back some of the minor roles of the former Farnham Urban District Council from Waverley.
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For the main records of the Farnham Local Board, later Urban District Council, 1247-1983, see 6049 and inter alia 1505, 1972, 4367/File 2, 5052, 6075, 7055/2/- and 7862/2/-. For Farnham Poor Law Union and Board of Guardians records, 1846-1930, see BG4/-.
- Access Status: Open. For access to school records under 75 years old referring to pupils and teachers (-/9/-), please sign an undertaking form.
- Provenance: Deposited by the Curator of Farnham Museum in March 2007. -/2/1-2 and -/3/3/3-4 were previously received by the museum from Farnham Locality Office in August 1985.
- Bibliography: Ewbank Smith, Victorian Farnham (Chichester, 1971);
Farnham Chamber of Commerce, The Book of Farnham (4th edition, 1949);
Waverley Borough Council, Waverley Borough Guide (1989).
Some of the information used in the introduction has been gathered from the Farnham Online website (http://www.farnham.gov.uk/).
- Arrangement: Files were retained where their contents added significantly to the information summarised in the minutes of the relevant committees or where minutes do not survive.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.