ALLEN HOUSE, GUILDFORD: FILE RELATING TO PLANNING ENQUIRY
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: CC1166
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1955-1963
- Format: Archives
- Admin History: Allen House in High Street, Guildford (demolished in 1964), took its name from Anthony Allen, a Master in Chancery and Mayor of Guildford, 1740-41. Later owners included Caleb Woodyer, a Guildford surgeon, 1816-50, and his son Henry Woodyer, an ecclesiastical architect, from 1850-66. In 1866, it was bought by the Rev H G Merriman, headteacher of the Royal Grammar School, Guildford, and was thereafter used as a school. He sold Allen House on his retirement and it remained in private hands until it was sold to Surrey County Council in 1921.
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For deeds 1555-1585, see 267/-; deeds, 1739-1814, see G136/1/-; and deeds, 1799-1875, see G151/1-7. For plans and photographs relating to redevelopment of Allen House, c.1960, see CC32/11. For file relating to 1963 preservation order for Allen House see CC350/1083/D7/18a.
- Access Status: Open. There are no access restrictions.
- Provenance: Transferred from Surrey Local Studies Library stock in January 2009.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.