EDUCATION DEPARTMENT: FILES OF GENERAL INSPECTOR OF SPECIAL EDUCATION
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: CC193
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1903-1978
- Format: Archives
- Description: The records consist of working files of Benjamin J Pitchers, General Inspector of Special Education, and include files on Special Education establishments as well as specialist departments in certain schools. There are also files relating to mainstream schools, in particular schools in the Borough of Epsom and Ewell, for which it appears BJ Pitchers also had responsibility.
- Admin History: For an introduction to the functions of the Surrey Schools Inspectorate, see CC78.
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For records of the County Chief Inspector of Schools, 1903-1977, see CC78.
- Access Status: Open. Records containing information about pupils are closed for 100 years. Staff records are closed for 75 years.
- Provenance: Transferred by the Education Department in August 1982.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.