18th century Place Farm/16th century Bletchingley Place
Double click the dots in the left border to show/hide the side panel. The current record is shown in yellow.
- RefNo: 1226
- Reference Number: SHHER_1226
- Site Name: 18th century Place Farm/16th century Bletchingley Place
- Grid Reference: 532653 152124
- Description: Place Farm is an 18th century building formed out of the 16th century gatehouse of Bletchingley Place. A large barn is to the south-west, mainly 17th century in date, made from reused Tudor bricks. The meadow on the west side of the house contains a number of terraces probably the remains of ornamental gardens.
Bletchingley Place was described in 1521 as 'newly bilded' [sic], perhaps on the site of the earlier De Clare Manor house, for the Duke of Buckingham. After his execution for treason it was seized by Henry VIII and was later given as a residence to Anne of Cleves, and eventually demolished 1670. It is shown on a Pendell Estate Map of 1622 as a double courtyard building and recent work, including excavation has shown that the present house was formed from the central portion of the northern wing of the inner court. The barn to the southwest is an adaptation of the original west wing of the outer court. No foundations earlier than Tudor has been found, but the foundation trenches contain medieval artefacts.
- Form: BUILDING
- For more information contact: Surrey Sites and Monuments Record
- Related Objects:
- Consists of:
- Related Places:
The online HER is not suitable for commercial use, as some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. Further Information. The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. Further Information.