Alleged Priory Of Crutched Friars, Guildford
Double click the dots in the left border to show/hide the side panel. The current record is shown in yellow.
- RefNo: 1653
- Reference Number: SHHER_1653
- Site Name: Alleged Priory Of Crutched Friars, Guildford
- Grid Reference: 499000 149000
- Description: The only authority for the existence of a house of crutched friars at Guildford is Speed, and it was unknown to him when he compiled the list of monasteries for his History of Great Britaine in 1611. In this he enters the priory of St Cross as having belonged to the friars preachers; but in the 2nd edition of 1627, without note or comment, he assigns St Cross to the 'crouched fryars' (probably on account of the name) and finds another house dedicated to St Dominic for the 'preaching fryers' (See HER 1658). Without certain evidence, the existence of a priory of crutched friars at Guildford is tenuous.
- Form: DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE
- For more information contact: Surrey Sites and Monuments Record
- Related Places:
The online HER is not suitable for commercial use, as some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. Further Information. The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. Further Information.