House Of Friars De Ordine Martyrum (Pre 1260?), Guildford
Double click the dots in the left border to show/hide the side panel. The current record is shown in yellow.
- RefNo: 1654
- Reference Number: SHHER_1654
- Site Name: House Of Friars De Ordine Martyrum (Pre 1260?), Guildford
- Grid Reference: 499470 149550
- Description: Possible House of the Friars de Ordine Martyrum at Guildford. Founded circa 1260 (dissolution date not known). The 'Fratres Ordinis S Morise de Ordine Cruciferorum' a short-lived order, came to Britain in 1244. They received permission in 1260, to inhabit a piece of land which they had acquired at Guildford.
Excavations on the site of the Dominican Friary at Guildford (see HER 1658) revealed fragmentary remains of pre-friary structures. At this period stone buildings outside the town are likely to be for religious use, and the documentary evidence for the Dominican Friary supports such a suggestion. A house of the Friars de Ordine Martyrum would fit the chronological requirements - the archaeological evidence suggests the structures cannot be earlier than circa 1250 and not later than circa 1275, the Friars de Ordine Martyrum cannot be earlier than 1260 and were dissolved by the Council of Lyons in 1274 - but certainty is not possible.
- Form: CONJECTURAL EVIDENCE
- For more information contact: Surrey Sites and Monuments Record
- Related Places:
The online HER is not suitable for commercial use, as some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. Further Information. The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. Further Information.