Medieval Dominican Friary, Guildford
Double click the dots in the left border to show/hide the side panel. The current record is shown in yellow.
- RefNo: 1658
- Reference Number: SHHER_1658
- Site Name: Medieval Dominican Friary, Guildford
- Grid Reference: 499460 149580
- Description: Queen Eleanor of Provence, widow of Henry III founded a house of Dominican friars at Guildford, on the east bank of the river, a little to the north of the High Street, at the end of Friary Street, but the exact date of the foundation is not known. The Dominicans were, however, not established in 1274, but in 1275 on 6th March Edward I granted the friars a road leading from Guildford to the royal park opposite, across the river to be enclosed for enlarging their area.
Henry VIII built himself a hunting lodge within the precincts. This and their own house, the Friars claimed (circa 1536) were now decaying, that they had no property, but lived on alms. Later the king retained the priory in his own lands, converting the house into a dwelling as an occasional royal resort. Dissolved 10th October 1538.
The house of the friars, after being leased by the Crown, was partly pulled down in 1606. The site was granted in 1630 in fee simple to the Earl of Annandale, who had a new house built by Inigo Jones. After various alterations, this was changed into barracks in 1794, and pulled down in 1818 (see also HER 2086).
No traces of the Friary now remain, the site is fully built over, for the most part of the Friary Brewery.
- Form: SUB SURFACE DEPOSIT
- For more information contact: Surrey Sites and Monuments Record
- Related Places:
The online HER is not suitable for commercial use, as some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. Further Information. The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. Further Information.