THE QUEEN'S SCHOOL, KEW: RECORDS
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 8306
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1810-1948
- Format: Archives
- Admin History: The charity school, later known as the King's or Queen's School, was established in 1810 according to The Reports of the Commissioners ... concerning Charities in England and Wales relating to the County of Surrey, 1819-37. New buildings were completed in 1826.
The original endowment of the school consisted of one twelfth share of the income from an estate called Perry Court Farm, Faversham, Kent, bequeathed under the will of Dorothy, Lady Capel, who died in 1721. Further endowments included 40 bequeathed by Barbara Meyer, widow of Jeremiah Meyer RA, in 1818; 300 given by King George IV in 1824 to build the school house, with the command that in future the school should be called 'The King's Free School'; and the sale of the Dame Holford 75 South Sea Stock in 1827 to help pay for building the school house. The school was supported by annual subscribers, but from the latter part of the 19th century received increasing amounts of government grant.
The Queen's School came into the state education system under the terms of the Education Act, 1902, becoming a Voluntary Aided School. This is a denominational school owned by the Trustees in which governors have particular responsibilities including the external upkeep of the school buildings, insurance and a proportion of the cost of any new building work. The Foundation, via the Diocesan Board as trustees, still owns the school and as such has the right to have a majority of governor representatives to ensure that the character and conduct of the school are preserved in accordance with its trust deed.
The school is now (2008) a Church of England Primary School in the London Borough of Richmond.
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For annual accounts of the trustees of Lady Capel's Charity, 1792-1849, see 4121/1/1. For deeds of Perry Court Farm, Faversham, 1514-1918, see 4121/2/1-19. For papers of the trustees of Lady Capel's Charity, 1682-1828, see 3030/11/1-90.
- Access Status: Open. Access restrictions may apply to admission registers, log books and punishment books less than 100 years old and to governors' minutes less than thirty years old.
- Provenance: Deposited by the Clerk to the Governors of The Queen's School, Kew, in April 2008.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.