The church of St John the Evangelist sits on Inholms Lane, on the hillside above North Holmwood village, surrounded by Holmwood Common.
The parish was created out of Dorking and Holmwood parishes. Ladies Anne and Mary Legge, daughters of the 3rd Earl of Dartmouth, who lived at nearby Holmwood Lodge, were instrumental in raising funds for its construction.
Designed by Major Rohde Hawkins, who lived at nearby Redlands, the church was situated on common land donated by the Duke of Norfolk. It was built in 1874 and consecrated in 1875. Its flint style is derivative of Early English with a tower topped by a spire.