Now available on the Surrey History Centre website: search the Godstone Poor Law Union application and report books (1869 to 1915).
This village lies between the North Downs and Tilburstow Hill, 7 miles east of Reigate in the relatively flat area of a west-east valley where the A25 crosses the Eastbourne Road (A22).
Church Town lies at the end of a footpath about mile east of Godstone Green. The church of St. Nicholas (click on the link to see the Historic Environment Record for the church) really belongs to the Saxon settlement of Walkingstead which was recorded in the Domesday Survey of 1086. Click here to see the catalogue of the St Nicholas, Godstone, Parish Records and Godstone, Civil Parish Records (1559-1945) held at the Surrey History Centre.
The route of the Roman Road to the west had become neglected in the Saxon period, but it gradually came back into use and Godstone grew on it to be more important than the earlier settlement. It has been suggested that the reversion to the line of the Roman Road took place in Elizabethan times, perhaps associated with transport for iron workings in the Weald or local gunpowder mills that were active in the area early in the 17th century.
The settlement at Godstone Green grew from its position on important traffic routes, although the parish was essentially an agricultural one.
The Redhill-Tonbridge railway passed 2 miles south of the historic centre and a new village grew up keeping development out of the area around the Green. More recent residential development to the north-east and south has not affected the character of the historic core at the junction of the main roads and has left Church Town as a small and attractive, physically distinct area.