BANSTEAD, ST MARY THE VIRGIN, BURGH HEATH, AND ST MARK, TATTENHAM CORNER AND BURGH HEATH: RECORDS
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 6340
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1906-1995
- Format: Archives
- Admin History: The church of St Mary the Virgin, Burgh Heath, in the parish of Banstead, was built as a chapel of ease for the residents of that part of the parish in 1908, the architect being J Alick Thomas FRIBA. A committee had been established in 1906, chaired by the vicar of Banstead, with the aim of building a church in the southern part of the parish. The building cost 5,300, most of the money being raised by subscription. It was to hold 350 sittings, all except 24 of which were free and unappropriated. The church was conveyed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in December 1908, dedicated for worship in January 1909, and consecrated in December 1911. It became a separate district chapelry in 1937, formed from parts of Banstead ancient parish and Kingswood ecclesiastical parish. Part of the chapelry was lost in 1955 upon the creation of Tadworth ecclesiastical parish.
The church was built of knapped flint with stone dressings, in a Decorated gothic style, but the intended tower was never completed. In 1928 the south chancel aisle, originally appropriated to the Colman family and the people of Nork, was established as a side chapel dedicated to St Monica, and in 1958 the chancel was refurnished.
The main administrative functions of the church were at first carried out by a committee of sidesmen rather than churchwardens. In 1932 the committee was reorganised as a sub-committee of the PCC, partly elected by the parishioners and partly nominated by the vicar and sidesmen. The election of churchwardens is first recorded in the vestry minutes in 1933 (see -/1/6/1).
In 1950, as a response to a growth of population in the Tattenham area of the parish, a church hall was opened at Great Tattenhams, licensed for services and baptisms. In 1967 St Mark's church was built on this site, in a modern style, the architects being Gotch and partners. The parish of St Mark, Tattenham Corner and Burgh Heath, was created in the same year and St Mary the Virgin then became the daughter church of the parish. In 1977 a scheme was proposed, supported by the Church Commissioners, to close St Mary's church and divide parts of Burgh Heath between Banstead and Kingswood parishes, but this was overturned on appeal to the Privy Council in 1980.
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For the records of All Saint's church, Banstead, see 2375 and 2391.
- Access Status: Open. 6340/2/4/1 and 6340/2/5/1-2 are closed for 30 years.
- Provenance: Deposited by the Vicar and Parochial Church Council of St Mark's, Tattenham Corner and Burgh Heath, in June 1996.
- Bibliography: Kelly's Directory of Surrey (1909 edition);
S J Totman, A History of the Manor and Parish of Burgh Heath (Beaconsfield, 1970)
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.