ALBURY GYPSY [GIPSY] SCHOOL, HURTWOOD, SHERE, AND GYPSY FAMILIES AND TRADITIONS: NEWSPAPER CUTTINGS AND PHOTOGRAPHS
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 2570
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: c.1920-1932
- Format: Archives
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For a detailed account of Surrey Education Committee visit to Hurtwood Gypsy School, 1926, see CC767/40/1/9 (meeting of 7 Jul 1926, appendix to Elementary Committee meeting of 35 Jun 1926).
- Access Status: Open. There are no access restrictions.
- Provenance: Presented by Mrs P Horsley of Ewell, in April 1981. The pages upon which the newcuttings and photographs were mounted were found enclosed in an old scrapbook in Mrs Horsley's possession.
- Bibliography: BOWEN, PAUL, The schooling of gypsy children in Surrey 1906-1933. Journal of Educational Administration and History, Vol 36, No 1, April 2004, Taylor & Francis, 2004.;
ROBINSON, DAVID, Surrey Through the Century, 1889-1989, Surrey County Council, 1989, p.22;
For more information about the school see the Exploring Surrey's Past website http://www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk/themes/subjects/diversity/grt/gypsy_school_at_hurtwood/
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.