Deeds relating to Station Place, Farncombe, Godalming The premises were formerly a parcel of the garden of Farncombe House (shown in sketch plan attached to -/1), which retained the right to passage of water and soil. 4 dwellings were built on the site, described as in the course of erection in Oct 1931 (-/2). By 1933, the site was known as Station Place (shown in plans on -/5-6). The land was purchased from Arthur Greene of Farncombe House by Mr Alexandra [sic] Rossie, marine store dealer of Ramblers Hammer, West Sussex, near Haslemere, on 16 Jul 1931 (cited in -/2). Rossie redeemed the land tax on the property on 7 Aug 1931, when its annual rentable value was assessed at 8 (-/1). Rossie, now of Wey Hill, Haslemere, mortgaged the land during the building of the houses, for 1000, and subsequently for 500, 22 Oct 1931- 5 Feb 1932 (-/2-4). On 7 Jan 1933, 2 Station Place was conveyed to Dorothy Pearl Wake, and on 16 May 1933, 1 Station Place was conveyed to Cyril James Allam (cited in -/5). 3 and 4 Station Place, with their 3 garages, were again mortgaged by Rossie for 1600 on 6 Sep 1933, and redeemed on 11 Mar 1935, apparently by the sale of the properties to Town Investments Ltd of London (see their own mortgage for the same amount, of 18 Mar 1935). Both properties included shops, and were subject to leases from 25 Nov 1933 and 11 Mar 1935 (4 and 3 respectively: cited in -/6). 3 Station Place was used as a haberdasher and drapers, leased to Mrs EE Hounsome in 21 Sep 1937 for 78pa (-/7). 4 Station Place was a grocery from at least 13 Sep 1946, when it was assigned to Ernest Oldridge Lane, grocer, as the firm EO Lane Ltd of Haslemere, possibly from 25 Nov 1933 (see licence to assign remainder of tenancy, -/8). The garage of this property was leased to Joseph Simpson OBE, chief constable, for 19 10s pa on 6 Mar 1951.
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 5309/1-10
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 7 Aug 1931 - 6 Mar 1951
- Format: Archives
- Level: Item
- Access Status: Open.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.