Lomax Family Of Childwickbury, Hertfordshire; Meonstoke, Hampshire, And Netley, Shere; The O'callaghan Family Of County Clare, Ireland; And The Vaughan Williams Family Of High Ashes And Tanhurst, Leith Hill, Wotton: Family Papers
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- SHC Ref No: 6536
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1547-2004
- Format: Archives
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For additional Vaughan Williams and Barkworth family records, comprising pictorial material and legal papers, 1813-1966, see 6675.
For probate of will (24 Sep 1846) of Edmund Lomax esq of Netley, 10 May 1847, leaving much of his estate to his daughter, Laura Susanna Lomax, see 1217/1/1.
For deeds and papers of the estates of the Lomax family of Netley, and later the Fraser and Fraser Mackenzie family in Shere and elsewhere, 1595-1940, see 1217/-.
For deeds of Burchetts, Pratsham and Tanhurst in Abinger and Wotton, 1614-1770, see G23.
For letters and papers between Vaughan Williams family and Thomas Henry, 1st Baron Farrer of Abinger (1819-1899), Thomas Cecil, 2nd Baron (1859-1940) and his second wife, Evangeline, 1853-1947, see 2572.
For watercolour by John Hassell of 'Tanhurst the seat of the late Sir Saml Rommilly now Ogilvie Esqr', 1823, see 4348/3/22/23.
The Phillimore archive held at Hampshire Record Office includes records relating to the Bagot family, including letters of Jane Vaughan Williams to Augustus Phillimore, 1864-1877 (HRO ref 115M88/C56).
- Access Status: Open. Access may be restricted to material less than 30 years old.
- Provenance: Deposited by Mr and Mrs Grimes of Tanhurst, Surrey, in November 1998 and May 2004. Mrs Grimes is a descendant of the Vaughan Williams family through her father, Terence Charles Cotherstone Barkworth.
- Bibliography: RVW: a biography of Ralph Vaughan Williams, Ursula Vaughan Williams (OUP, 1964).
- Arrangement: The series are ordered as follows: records relating to title and management of estates of the Lomax, Vaughan Williams and related families; records of family settlement of the Lomax, Barkworth and Vaughan Williams families; personal and official papers of individual family members; personal papers of friends and relations of the Vaughan Williams family.
On deposit, most of the records were comprised in large bundles, the contents of which were often very various. At present these bundles have been retained: as a result, different parts of bundles will be found described in more than one series within the list.
Parts of this bundle list have not been researched nor described in detail. (Some bundle contents have not been given itemised descriptions at all.) In particular, researchers should note that the Vaughan Williams family correspondence is only partially divided into separate subseries relating to individuals.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
This document forms part of a collectionHierarchy
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will have been catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The catalogue will be arranged into sub-sections such as series, files and items so that related records appear together. Your current record is highlighted in bold and the folder it is in shows its context. From here you can explore the collection further by opening up folders (select the + signs) and viewing details of any other records shown (select the text). Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy