Deeds relating to 'Lordsmeade', Hurtmore Lane, Farncombe, Godalming, formerly part of the Lessington House estate. In 1862 Thomas Strudwick, farmer of Godalming, purchased from the trustees of James Arnold, butcher of Godalming, two pieces of land to the north of the Hurtmore Road, Farncombe, Godalming, called Broom Field and Lees Field (943 & 946 on the tithe map). Arnold had been in possession in 1828. Strudwick died in 1877 leaving the property with other neighbouring pieces of land, including Great Corp field, to his wife Harriet Strudwick. In 1887 the lands, now with Lessington House built on Great Corp and amounting to 39a 3r 9p, were conveyed to Miss Ellen Strudwick. After many mortgages of the property Broom Field, Lees Field (16a 2r 23p) and part of Great Puttocks (6a 2r 36p) were conveyed by Ellen to Fanny Strudwick who subsequently mortgaged them to Henry Gray Brydone, solicitor of Petworth, Sussex. Fanny Strudwick died in 1904 leaving her property to Ellen Strudwick but in 1905 by Order in Chancery the latter was barred from any claim to the equity of redemption in the mortgaged property. In 1906 Brydone's son, Reginald Marr Brydone, sold part of the property to Charles Clement Cotterill, and a further portion to Charterhouse School. Cotterill subsequently sold parts of his portion to the school. In 1912 Brydone sold a further portion (including 9 cottages called Norville Cottages, first mentioned in 1906) to the School. In 1914 the School leased the site of the cottages, now demolished, to the secretary of the school, Edward Trevor Hardman, to erect a house. This house, 'The Coign' was assigned by Hardman to Andrew Leicester Irvine of Sandrock, Godalming, in 1919 and in 1925 the freehold was conveyed to Irvine by the School, at which date it was known as 'Lordsmeade'. An abstract of title of 1927 names J C Thomson as the owner.
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 6568/1-43
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1862 - 1927
- Format: Archives
- Level: Item
- Access Status: Open.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.