Brookwood Hospital, Woking: Patient Case Files
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- SHC Ref No: 7173
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: c.1893-1980s
- Format: Archives
- Description: These patient case files represent a 10% sample of the files existent on the closure of Brookwood in 1995, less the small quantity of files under 21 years old. The files were at that stage sorted into the main sequences 'live' and 'dead' (the latter relating to patients recorded to be deceased at that date) before transfer to commercial storage. On transfer of the selected sample to Surrey History Centre in 2002, the remaining unselected files over 21 years old were destroyed by the NHS Trust.
The sample is proportional to the total boxes only. The file sequences were not considered meaningful in relation to the sampling, as they were not used for administration during the lifetime of the hospital (neither did the sequences make a true distinction as to those patients actually rather than recorded as deceased by 1995: the 'live' sequence included patient records from the 1890s). Small series of files of patients in Florence House and those attending the Day Treatment Centre were found at the time of the second deposit, so some of these boxes are included in the selection.
A further deposit was made in February 2004, representing a 10% sample of files relating to patients who had received no treatment since 1983 and which were thus eligible for destruction under Department of Health circular HSC 1999/053. Another deposit was made in January 2005 (ref: 7173/1/-), representing a 10% sample of files relating to patients who were discharged in 1984.
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For other records of the hospital, 1823-1991, see 3043, CC392, CC525, CC710, CC767/14/-, QS5/6/-, 523, 2653, 6186, 6518 and 6857.
- Access Status: Open. Information in case files may be subject to access restrictions for 100 years.
- Provenance: Deposited under the terms of the Public Records Act, 1958, by the Patient Services Manager, Surrey Hampshire Borders NHS Trust, in March 2002, May 2002, February 2004 and January 2005.
- Arrangement: This is a provisional box list. Date ranges have not been checked for individual boxes.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
This document forms part of a collectionHierarchy
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will have been catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The catalogue will be arranged into sub-sections such as series, files and items so that related records appear together. Your current record is highlighted in bold and the folder it is in shows its context. From here you can explore the collection further by opening up folders (select the + signs) and viewing details of any other records shown (select the text). Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy