R C Sherriff [1896-1975), Dramatist And Novelist: Additional Papers
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: 9314
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1925-2018
- Format: Archives
- Description: Miscellaneous donations and deposits of material, and copies of material, relating to the life and career of R C Sherriff, sourced from various individuals and organisations. Includes programmes, posters and other material relating to a 2013-2014 revival production of Sherriff's play 'The White Carnation' (9314/1/-), a copy of the eulogy given by Dr Dixon, Sherriff's doctor, at Sherriff's funeral (9314/2/-), and original scripts for other plays 'The Feudal System' and 'Mr Birdie's Finger' (9314/4/-).
There are also recordings and transcripts of interviews with Lt Col Christopher Manning-Press, Sherriff's godson (9314/4/7), and Olive Pettit, one of Sherriff's secretaries (9314/7/-), in which the interviewees share their recollections of him. In addition there are copies of recordings of BBC Radio talks by Sherriff (9314/10/-), and copies of his army service papers (9314/11/-), the originals of which are held at The National Archives.
- Admin History: For an introduction to R C Sherriff's life see 2332/-.
- Extent: 3 boxes
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For the main corpus of R C Sherriff's papers, bequeathed to Kingston Grammar School, and an introduction to his life see 2332/-. Further correspondence and other material relating to Sherriff can also be found at 3813/-.
A guide to archive material relating to R C Sherriff held elsewhere in the UK and abroad is in the course of being compiled, and the finished version will be made available online later on 2015 at:
- Access Status: Open. There are no access restrictions. Any requests to publish material in this collection should be directed to Surrey History Centre in the first instance, who will seek permission from the depositor on the searcher's behalf.
- Provenance: Received from various donors and depositors during the course of a project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund during 2014-2015 to publicise and improve access to the Sherriff papers. Further related accruals will be added to this catalogue.
- Bibliography: A detailed bibliography of published works by and about R C Sherriff is in the course of being compiled, and the finished version will be made available online later on 2015 at:
- Arrangement: This catalogue is arranged by depositor. It was originally produced as part of a project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund during 2014-2015 to publicise and improve access to the Sherriff papers.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
This document forms part of a collectionHierarchy
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will have been catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The catalogue will be arranged into sub-sections such as series, files and items so that related records appear together. Your current record is highlighted in bold and the folder it is in shows its context. From here you can explore the collection further by opening up folders (select the + signs) and viewing details of any other records shown (select the text). Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy