Marriage settlement 1) William Lord King, Baron of Ockham 2) Anne Isabella Lady Noel Byron, widow, and Hon Augusta Ada Byron, her daughter 3) Hon Hugh Fortescue (Viscount Horrington) and Hon and Rev John Fortescue (trustees under Lord King's release of 7 Mar 1835) 4) William Keppel Viscount Barrington and Hon George Matthew Fortescue (trustees of the marriage settlement) 5) George Anson Baron Byron and Hugh Viscount Ebrington (trustees of Augusta Ada's interests) 6) William Charles Harland and Hon and Rev John Fortescue (residuary trustees for Augusta Ada's jointure and for children of the marriage)
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- SHC Ref No: G165/1/43
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 7 Jul 1835
- Format: Archives
- Description: Manors of Ockham, Ditton, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton, East Clandon and Wisley, all in Surrey. Manors of Bratton, Sparkhaies, Yarner, Culbone and Chilton, all in Somerset. Manor of Shillingford, Devon. Manor of Dalwood otherwise East Dalwood, Dorset. Capital messuages called Westons otherwise Pool Head, Ockham Court otherwise Ockham Courthouse, Ockham Park and capital messuage at Bridge End, all in Ockham, Surrey. Capital mansion houses of Yarty and Bickford in Membury and Axminster, Devon. Rectory and advowson of Culbone, Somerset; advowsons of Ockham and East Clandon, Surrey; advowson of Stockland, Dorset. Fair or market called Dalwood Fair, Dorset. Fishing rights on River Wey from Tumbling Bay, Walsham Mead, Pyrford to Wisley Bridge, Surrey.
Mansion house, park, gardens and 185a 7p called Ockham Park; farmhouse, appurtenances and 154a 1r 25p called Guiles Mill; brick kiln and 1a 11p part of Batchelors; 114a 3r 31p called Blackmoor Heath; 27a 1r 26p called part of Batchelors; 33a called Ockham Lower Meadow; 21a called Ockham Court Mead; 3 cottages each with 30p, garden at Church End; cottage divided into 2 and 1a 1r garden at Church End; 11a called Harmheath; Public House, stable and 1r garden at Bridge End called Hautboy and Fiddle; 4 double cottages with gardens of 37p; 1r; 1r 10p and 32p at Bridge End; double cottage and 3r 2p garden at South End; 7 cottages and gardens of 6a 2r 27p; 20; 1r 10p; 4a 2r 30p; 21p; 20p and 3r 10p; farmhouse, appurtenances and 249a 3r 38p called Bridgefoot Farm; water corn mill, malthouse, appurtenances and 10a 33p called Ockham Mill;
cottage and 9a 35p called Ockham Court; farmhouse and 144a 3r 15p called Upton Farm; 21a 3r 12p called part of Chernhurst; farmhouse and 61a 3r 30p called part of Pound Farm; 21a 10p called Mays Green Farm; cottage and 18a 3r called High Rise Farm; cottage, and 3a 3r 3p part of Mays Green; farmhouse and 53a 1r 5p called Yarns; 5a 24 2p part of Batchelors; cottage and 9a 1r 31p at Church End; house and 3a called The Wilderness; house and 3a called Old Lane; farmhouse and 6a 18p part of Jury Farm; farmhouse and 215a 3p called Batchelors Farm; barn and 69a 1r 10p called Passworth Farm; farmhouse, 2 cottages and 131a 2r 30p called Bridgend and Wilderness Farm; 20a called Well Field and Enclosure, all in Ockham, Surrey
16 1r 8p part of Pound Farm in Cobham, Surrey. 42a 1r 14p and 12a 2r 38p called Black Hill, Paines Hill and Bottlestone Hill; farmhouse and 126a 2r 25p called Wisley Farm; 31a 2r 39p called Blue Ride; 14a 3r called Wisley Slade; 66a 23p coppice part of Blue Ride; 15a 2r 12p part of Upton Farm; lewin, yard and 18a called Poak Side; 79a 20p part of Cherhurst; farmhouse and 2a 3r 36p part of Cherhurst; farmhouse and 43a called Pond Farm; Public House and 3a called The Hut; cottage and 1a called Wisley cottage; cottage and 3r, all in Wisley, Surrey.
Farmhouse, 3 cottages and 279a 2r 26p called East Clandon Farm; Public House, farm and 27a 20p called Queens Mead; 25a 3r 37p part of Gersons; cottage and 22p; cottage and 1a 37p; 4a 37p called Street Meadow; 28a 2r 16p woodland part of Gersons; 2a part of Smith Field, all in East Clandon, Surrey.
26a 3r called Holes Land; 43a 3r 12p called Talbot Lands; 3a 2r 14p called Hogstye Field; 54a 35p part of Tilehurst; farmhouse and 181a 3r 21p called Homewood Farm; farmhouse and 136a 37p called Chaple Farm; house and 12a 3r 6p called Talbot Inn, Ripley;
farmhouse and 28a 3r 39p called Holes Farm; 38a 3r 27p called George Lands; 284a 2r 16p, part of Ryde Farm; cottage and 96a 16p part of Ryde Farm; cottage and 23a 3r 33p called Oak Ryde Farm; 142a 3r 14p part of Jury Farm; farmhouse and 165a 2r 38p part of Jury Farm; 62a 2r 19p part of Ryde Farm; 22a 1r part of Batchelors; Public House and 30a 3p called The Jovial Sailor; cottage and 1r garden facing The Talbot, all in Ripley and Send, Surrey.
11a 1r 11p called Wharf Field and Pigeon House Field; 88a 3r 31p part of Wisley Farm; 10a called Waterlands; 18a 1r 12p called The Decoy; cottage, barn and 11a 1r 25p late Whitburns; 5a 2r 14p part of Townley Mead, all in Pyrford, Surrey
7 parcels of 1a 1r 10p; 2f; 13a 3r 17p; 4a 1r 27p; 3a 34p; 9a 1r 5p and 1a 2r 19p all in Woking Broad Mead; 1r 15p part of Mill Mead; cottage and 58a 3p called Hockbridge Farm, all in Woking, Surrey.
6a 10p part of Blue Ryde; farmhouse and 2 parcels of 63a 3r 14p and 70a 19p part of Blackmore Heath; 3r part of Jury Farm and 25a part of Batchelors, all in West Horsley, Surrey.
Farmhouse and 262a 1r 5p called Poems Farm; villa and 28a 39p called tenement near the church; cottage and 4a 2r 13p called Swans tenement; cottage and 3r 16p garden called Carpenters tenement; house and 48a 1r 35p called Ditton Hill; farmhouse and 67a 21p called Claygate Farm; parcels of 80a 2r 27p and 10a 1r 14p; villa and 9a 2r 2p called Whitehall; smith's shop, house and 2r garden called Winters; farmhouse and 109a called Tallworth Farm; cottage, lands and 107a 2r 23p part of Pound Farm; public house and 1a 1r 35p called The Crown and Anchor; cottage and 27p, garden; cottage and 2a 2r 10p; 2r at Boyle Farm; cottage and 1r garden; 2a 18p in common field and 1a in Ditton Marsh, all in Long Ditton, Surrey
23a 32p part of Pounds Farm; 12a part of Hook Farm; farmhouse and 144a 3r called Hook Farm; 16a 1r 35p part of Pound Farm, all in Kingston on Thames, Surrey
46a 17p part of Claygate Farm; 9a 2r 36p called the Bunne; cottage and 10a 2r part of Cleygate Farm; house, farm and 95a 3r 18p part of Wafforns Farm; 3a newly inclosed on Ditton Marsh, all in Thames Ditton, Surrey.
Farm and 290a called Bratton Courthouse Farm; 13a 2r 13p called Clark's Tenement otherwise Ridlers; 6a 3r 34p late Coffins; 12a 19p late Loudens; 44a 28p late Beres; 12 19p called Loudens Tenement; 7a 2r 23p called Atkins Tenement; 4a 3r 30p farmhouse late Rowles Tenement; 8a 30p called Lidersin Tenement; farmhouse and 35a 1r 1p called Periton Farm; 27a called Bratton Wood, all in Minehead, Somerset.
Farmhouse and 38a 1p called Sparkhayes Farm; farmhouse and 19a 2r 20p called the Schoolhouse; 10a in town of Porlock; 2a 3r 38p called Stoyles Tenement; 5a 3r 19p called Phelps Tenement; 8a 1r 39p called Holes Tenement; 49a 1r 15p called Sparkhaye Wood; farmhouse and 28a 3r 33p called Yarner Farm; 45a 3r 36p called Ashe; 44a 1r 18p called part of Yarner; 47a 4p called Wenwood; 66a 2r 19p called Pitt; 15a 3r 12p called Yarner Mill; 33a 3r 7p called Lower Yarner; house, garden and 8a called Ashley Lodge; 88a called Yarner Wood, all in Porlock, Somerset.
Farmhouse and 131a 2r 29p called Silcombes tenement; farmhouse, and 15a 3r 38p called Wythycombe tenement; farmhouse and 82a 1r 35p called Titchin; farmhouse and 84a 3r 25p called Broomstreet; farmhouse and 36a 1r 37p late Moggridges; farmhouse and 39a 14p called Lower Broomstreet, 313a 3r 30p called Culbone Wood, all in Culbone, Somerset
Farmhouse and 69a 2r 25p called Webbs; tenement and 1a; farmhouse, and 71a 1r 2p called Hoopers tenement; 32a 1r 6p called Willmots tenement; 13a 17p in Hogmoor; 14a 3r 37p called Hogmoor Corner Close; 114a 13p called Bentle; 3a 1r 10p called Pigsortch; farmhouse and 82a 2r 16p called Bowns of Herberts; farmhouse and 52a 2r 14p called Gooseleys; farmhouse and 52a 3r 29p called Hennings; cottage and 1a 19p called Lees tenement; 26a 2r 5p called Chapmans tenement; 5a 1r 14p called Brooks tenement otherwise Crops Close, all in Moorlinch, Somerset.
Farmhouse and 52a 2r 6p called West Holcombe; farmhouse, and 84a 1r 1p called Guernseys; 65a 2r 14p called Quarleys; mill and 24a 1r 12p called Aldermens Mill; farmhouse and 71a 2r 37p called Dowsens; farmhouse and 21a 19p called Bedmons; cottage and 7a 1r 22p; farmhouse and 95a 2r 25p called East Dipford Down; mill and 9a 2r 36p called Ford Mill tenement; 14a 31p coppice called Dipford Coppice; 3 cottages and 2r 24p; cottage and 2r 8p, all in Bampton, Devon
Farmhouse and 287a 2r 30p called Yarty Farm; farmhouse and 136a 2r 19p called Waterhouse; farmhouse and 14a 1r 30p called Grove Land; farmhouse and 49a 3p called Houndscome; farmhouse and 18a 2r 27p called Bickfords tenement; farmhouse and 4a 1r 25p part of Brays; farmhouse and 6a 1r 22p part of Brays, all in Membury, Devon
Farmhouse and 47a 2r 32p called Hole More Farm, Uppottery, Devon.
Farmhouse and 44a 10p called Eldford tenement; farmhouse and 109a 3r 10p called Brays; farmhouse and 108a 1r 22p called Borough Farm; farmhouse and 8a 2r 6p called Mill Water; farmhouse and 37a 3r 15p called Blackwells tenement, all in Dalwood, Dorset.
Farmhouse and 93a 3r 37p called Stockland Farm; farmhouse and 42a 2r 39p called Crewson; cottage and 2r garden called Phoenix Hayes, all in Stockland, Dorset.
Copy messuage, garden and 2 closes, in all 5a called Collyers in Ockham; 21a copyhold called Shenfields in Wisley, both in Surrey.
Also Wentworth estates in Leicestershire as in G165/1/42.
Under Order of Master of the Rolls of 27 Jun 1835 confirming Master's Report of 26 Jun that the marriage and settlement proposed for Hon Augusta Ada Byron, a ward in Chancery, is fit and suitable.
On receipt of 30,000 from Lady Noel Byron (16,000 being due to Augusta Ada under terms of her parents' marriage settlement), and by virtue of powers conferred by him by release of 7 Mar 1835, 1) conveys to 4), to use of 5) lands in 1st schedule for: conjugal uses, and to pay Augusta Ada 300 per annum pin money for a jointure of 2,000 pa after the death of 1) (unless she inherits the Wentworth lands, in which case the 2,000 goes to 6) in trust for the eldest son); to secure portions of 10,000 each to younger children. Estates to be settled on eldest son. Provision of G165/1/42 are incorporated.
Schedules of lands giving occupiers' names: freehold property included in the settlement, copyhold properties in Ockham, and property excluded from settlement because sold or leased.
Endorsed with memoranda of sales:
Parcels part of Burrough Farm, Dalwood, Dorset, to Rev T F Dymock, 10 Oct 1838;
Holemore, Upottery, Devon, to John Osborn, 13 Apr 1839;
Manor of Shillingford cum Dipford to Charles Rawcliffe, 29 Mar 1842;
Lands in Chilton super Holden, Somerset, to Joseph Mosley and others, 25 Mar 1844;
Land in Long Ditton and Kingston to Lambeth Water Co, 31 Dec 1849;
Highlands Farm, Capel, to John Labouchere Esq and William Godfrey, 18 Oct 1852;
Whitehall, Long Ditton to Henry R Woods, 31 Aug 1853 24 Feb 1854
Part of Tylehurst Farm, formerly copyhold in the manor of Ripley and Send, to trustees Viscount Barrington and Hon George Matthew Fortescue, 20 Aug 1862
- Level: Item
- Access Status: Open.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
This document forms part of a collectionHierarchy
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will have been catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The catalogue will be arranged into sub-sections such as series, files and items so that related records appear together. Your current record is highlighted in bold and the folder it is in shows its context. From here you can explore the collection further by opening up folders (select the + signs) and viewing details of any other records shown (select the text). Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy