HORLEY, ST BARTHOLOMEW: PARISH RECORDS
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- Ref No: P30
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1578-1952
- Format: Archives
- Description: The records include registers, 1578-1903, a plan of the churchyard made in 1806, a church rate assessment book, 1812-1845, vestry minutes, 1808-1935 (not a complete series), and minutes relating to repairs to the church in 1865, as well as draft minutes of a committee for enlargement of the church, 1899-1901, and related papers.
Churchwardens' accounts are extant for various years between 1660-1780; overseers' accounts and vouchers survive from the early eighteenth century. The majority of other poor law papers relate to the administration of the workhouse, established for Reigate Gilbert Union, of which Horley was a member (other papers survive among Nutfield parish records, P26/9/-), or the activities of the Board of Guardians established under the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act. The accumulation also includes accounts and other papers relating to highway maintenance, 1775-1860, minutes and letters of the Nuisance Removal committee, 1860-1866 (appointed in 1859), and papers relating to the parish's unsuccessful application for constitution as an urban sanitary district in 1881. Other records include papers relating to returns of jurors and electoral registration after 1832, and records of the Horley Friendly Society, 1805-1832.
Charity papers deposited include Smith's charity disbursements accounts for various years between 1707 and 1720, and minutes and correspondence of the trustees of the parish clerk's land charity, appointed in 1862 to administer the lands previously held by the clerk as remuneration of his office. There are also minutes of the managers of Horley Row National School (from1835, until a School Board was formed for the area in 1873), and a number of twentieth century papers relating to the school buildings in which the parish has retained an interest. A group of nineteenth century taxation papers are also included in the deposit and seem to have survived because Martin Bray, a mid-nineteenth century collector of taxes, was also the parish clerk (-/14/-).
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For a further deposit of records of St Bartholomew, Horley, see 2081/-, which also contains an introduction to the parish; for churchwardens' accounts, 1507-1702, see British Library Additional Mss N06173 and ADD.MS.6173 (also referred to in Surrey Archaeological Collections, vol 8); for records of Christ the King, Salfords, see P64, 2010 and 2280.
- Access Status: Open. There are no access restrictions.
- Provenance: Deposited by the vicar and Parochial Church Council between 1956 and 1962.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
Click on the plus symbol beside the catalogue entries below to show more items. Hover the cursor over a catalogue entry to see more information.