St Mary's Church, Wimbledon: Parish Records
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Find out more about how to see the original documents.
- SHC Ref No: P5
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1538-1940
- Format: Archives
- Description: The registers (including cemetery burials 1876-1901) cover the years 1538-1901. Other records include church rate assessments, 1804, 1839-67, 1881-1911, churchwardens' accounts and vouchers, 1741-1936, vestry minutes for various years, 1735-1885, poor rate assessments for various years, 1781-1836, overseers' accounts and vouchers, 1750-1836, and papers relating to settlement , apprenticeship, the workhouse and other (mainly poor law) matters from 1691, highway surveyors' accounts, 1753-1864, accounts and papers of Lady Dorothy Cecil's, De Visme and other charities, 1744-1932, and papers of the charity school, 1761-68, and the National, later Wimbledon Church, Schools, 1773-1938. In addition, there are letters and orders concerning service in the militia, 1798-1811, tithe records, including the 1851 tithe map and apportionment, 1798-1927, correspondence about enlargement of the parish church, 1840-1841, and a perambulation of the parish boundaries, 1813.
More unusual items include the papers of John Castle, parish clerk and schoolmaster, 1791-1835, Wimbledon Friendly Society accounts and papers, 1776-1831, subscription lists and notice of the Watch Committee, for patrolling the village streets and common, 1796-1806, Wimbledon aqueduct committee minutes, 1844 and subscription accounts for Sunday lectures, 1814-1820.
The latest register of burials in Wimbledon churchyard is the volume for 1849-1871. The book is completely full, and the last entry is for 30 June 1871. According to Kelly's Surrey Directory, 1890, a Burial Board for the parish was formed in 1872. Presumably records for the Board remain with the successor local authority, Merton Borough Council.
From 1876, registers of burials 'in the consecrated portion of the Parochial Cemetery' survive with the parish records. A memorandum a the front of the register confirms that the first entry in the register records 'the first interment in the Wimbledon Parochial Cemetery'. The last entry in these registers is dated 30 December 1901, and the flyleaf annotated 'The Book was not necessary after the Burial Act of 1900'.
It seems that a register of burials in the churchyard, covering the latter part of 1871 and part of 1872 (or possibly the whole period 1871-1876) must be missing (there were generally 10 or more burials a month in 1870-71). If so, it was already missing when the parish records were surveyed in 1954. (Other records included in the survey published in 1928 were also missing by 1954).
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For later deposits of parish records see 2136, 2546, 2769, 2853 and 2871.
- Related Places:
- Access Status: Open. Records relating to charitable disbursements to named individuals are closed to public access for 100 years.
- Provenance: The bulk of the records here listed were deposited by the Vicar and Churchwardens in 1954, 1958, 1959 and 1961. A further large group, now listed as P5/15-24, was deposited by the Borough Librarian of Wimbledon in 1959.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre Collections Catalogue
This document forms part of a collectionHierarchy
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will have been catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The catalogue will be arranged into sub-sections such as series, files and items so that related records appear together. Your current record is highlighted in bold and the folder it is in shows its context. From here you can explore the collection further by opening up folders (select the + signs) and viewing details of any other records shown (select the text). Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy