CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, Church Lane, Chaldon
Double click the dots in the left border to show/hide the side panel. The current record is shown in yellow.
- RefNo: 11155
- Reference Number: SHHER_11155
- Site Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, Church Lane, Chaldon
- Grid Reference: 530875 155695
- Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul. 11th century origin, mostly late 12th century and early 13th century with south porch 16th century (restored in 19th century), and tower of 1843. Flint rubble with stone dressings, ashlar to the tower. Plain tiled roofs with wood shingled broach spire. Nave and aisles with porch and tower to the south; chancel to the east with former chapel (now vestry) to the north and chapel to the south. All window tracery restored, decorated style on east window. Timber framed gabled porch with planked and studded oak doors.
Interior: stone floor, 2 bay nave arcades on circular piers with slightly chamfered arches to the south, doubled chamfer to the north. Blocked 13th century arch to north chance chapel, 14th century chancel arch to south chancel chapel.
Fittings: pulpit, 1657, oak, panelled and framed with guilloche bands. Square stone font on octagonal stone stem.
Stained glass: east window by Davell. 1869.
Wall painting: west wall c.1200 one of the most important English wall paintings of that date. A type of purgatorial ladder in yellow ochre, red and white. 17ft x 11ft. Divided in two by cloudy band with the lower half decorated with torments and punishments of the wicked, the upper half devoted to the judgement and salvation of souls. In the centre is a ladder with Christ above. The main figures include the tree of knowledge, with the serpent (bottom right), the seven deadly sins and a cauldron for boiling murderers. Across the top are depicted the 3 Marys and Elijah and Enoch ascending to heaven, Christ defeating the devil and Christ preaching to the spirits in prison.
Monuments: panel on north chancel wall. Dated 1562. Stone square tablet with inscribed centre panel flanked by tapering elaborate pilasters with steep crowning pediment with modillions and sun in the tympaneum.
South chancel chapel: to Christian Hane. Died 1752. Aedicular type with white stone rectangular panel flanked by Doric pilasters with red marble. inlay. Grey apron panel below. Swan neck pediment with crowning shell above.
Listing NGR: TQ3087555695
- Form: EXTANT BUILDING
- For more information contact: Surrey Sites and Monuments Record
- Related Objects:
- Related Places:
The online HER is not suitable for commercial use, as some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. Further Information. The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. Further Information.