CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, Church Road, Lingfield
Double click the dots in the left border to show/hide the side panel. The current record is shown in yellow.
- RefNo: 11208
- Reference Number: SHHER_11208
- Site Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, Church Road, Lingfield
- Grid Reference: 538888 143780
- Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul. 14th century. Tower and some 14th century walling to south and west, remainder of church rebuilt in 1431 by Sir Reginald Cobham; vestry added in 1490; restored in 1846/7 and in 20th century. Random coursed sandstone to tower and older walling, larger square coursed sandstone blocks to remainder. Original firestone dressings to windows and doors largely replaced with sandstone except around doors to the undercroft. Horsham slab roofs with some plain tile patching, wooden shingled broach spire to tower. Nave with aisle to north and short aisle to south; chancel to east with north Lady Chapel, Chapel and vestry to the south; tower to southwest. Stone plinth and offset buttresses, diagonal on east and west ends. Half octagonal rood stair turret to north aisle wall at junction of nave and chancel; mass dials survive on south wall. 15th century Perpendicular style windows with stone tracery, large window to the east and west window of north aisle two centred with hood moulding ending in carved human head and grotesque stops; carved head at apex of arch. 3 stage tower with quatrefoil band to top and large angle buttresses. Trefoil head louvred lancets to each stage, south door to ground floor stage in 19th century renewed surround. West doors under pointed arched surround.
Interior: four bay nave arcades on piers of quatrefoil section, pointed arches under hood mouldings to above. Similar 3 bay arcade to chancel and chapels, 3rd bay blocked to south. Four centred chancel arch resting on westernmost piers of aisle arcades and forms centre bay of 3 bay arcade running north-south. Flattened barrel vault ceilings on moulded wall plates.
Stained glass: some 15th century glass fragments in south chancel window. Remainder 19th century.
Fittings: fine set of late Medieval fittings -
Font: octagonal stone bowl on stem, panelled stem with quatrefoil and human head decorations. Crocketed ogee wooden cover.
Pulpit: octagonal panelled wooden pulpit, panelled with arcade decoration. 15th century screens between chancel and chapels. Single light ogee head panels with crocket decoration. 15th century misericords, 11 seats with 8 misereries surviving - a bishop, the Cobham Arms, a rose and two heads.
Monuments - North Chancel Chapel: table tomb in northeast corner, reputedly dedicated to Sir Thomas Cobham and Lady Anne Cobham. Grey and brown stone with panelled sides containing blank shields and flat lid.
Northeast wall: marble tablet to Anthony Farringdon, died 1730. Rectangular tablet with flanking scrolls, crowning urn, and floral carving in apron. Table Tomb on north wall to Harold, Second Lord Cobham, Baron of Starborough, died 1403. Firestone with Purbeck marble top, panelled sides and inlaid brass figure on lid. Wall monument above to Elizabeth Farringdon, died 1743. Grey and white stone Aedicular tablet with flanking Doric pilasters, crowning pediment and scrolls all on gadrooned type base.
North Chancel Chapel - south wall: table tomb to Reginald, first Baron Cobham of Starborough, 1361. Caen stone with firestone effigy. Billeted decoration over painted quatrefoil panels on moulded plinth. Painted and gilt effigy in armour with feet resting on Saracen and his head resting on helmet; flanking angels and railed surround.
Chancel: table tomb to Sir Reginald Third Lord Cobham of Starborough and his wife Anne Bardolph. Circa 1450. Firestone with alabaster effigies. Quatrefoil panelled sides on moulded plinth with painted shields. Two effigies, Lord Cobham in plate armour, his feet on a lion, head on a Moors head. Lady Cobham in widow's attire with Wyvern at her feet and angels to her head.
South Wall of Chancel: Baroque cartouche. Dedicated to Francis Howard, died 1695. Marble with fine swags and garlands; cherubs to apron. Further cartouche to Mary Howard, died 1718. In similar style.
Brasses: reputedly the finest set in Surrey. Two half-length figures in chancel to John Swetecote, died 1469 and James Veldon, died 1458. Further brasses to unknown girl, died circa 1440; John Wyche, died 1445 and John Knoyll, died 1503. Further brasses in North Chapel to Lady Eleanor Culpepper, died 1420; female figure under canopy; Lady of the Cobham Family 15th century. Brass to Katerina Stoket, died 1420 and fine brass of John Hadresham, figure in armour, 1417. Formerly on floor but now on the north wall is an incised figure circa 1530 made up of encaustic tiles. (See SMR 11548, 11209-10)
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, Surrey (1971) pp. 347-349.
MANNING AND BRAY: HISTORY OF SURREY (1806) Vol. II. pp. 357-359. 62.
Listing NGR: TQ3888843780
- Form: EXTANT BUILDING
- For more information contact: Surrey Sites and Monuments Record
- Related Objects:
- Related Places:
The online HER is not suitable for commercial use, as some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. Further Information. The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. Further Information.