MYNTHURST, Smalls Hill Road, Leigh
Double click the dots in the left border to show/hide the side panel. The current record is shown in yellow.
- RefNo: 13688
- Reference Number: SHHER_13688
- Site Name: MYNTHURST, Smalls Hill Road, Leigh
- Grid Reference: 522778 145408
- Description: The house was built by 1870 and appears largely unaltered by 1914. The garden in the late 19th century had two terraces across the south side of the house. Two short flights of steps led up from a level area below the terraces. The house was sheltered by trees to the north, east and south. To the west of the house was a rectangular area, probably a walled kitchen garden divided into four areas by paths. Further west was a small orchard with a small glasshouse. To the north of the walled garden was a small plantation with a seat or small building. To the north and east of the house the garden has a degree of formality. The entrance drive from the lodge to the north ran, south through mixed woodland and then across parkland. There was a shorter drive from the east. The parkland to the south of the garden had lines of tree, possibly old field boundaries.
By 1914 there were fewer trees near the house and the garden area to the east has become more formal and there was an increase in the number of glasshouses to the west of the walled kitchen garden, otherwise the layout was little changed.
- Form: BOTANICAL FEATURE
- For more information contact: Surrey Sites and Monuments Record
- Related Places:
The online HER is not suitable for commercial use, as some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. Further Information. The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. Further Information.