HAXTED MILL, Haxted Road, Lingfield
Double click the dots in the left border to show/hide the side panel. The current record is shown in yellow.
- RefNo: 3435
- Reference Number: SHHER_3435
- Site Name: HAXTED MILL, Haxted Road, Lingfield
- Grid Reference: 541820 145510
- Description: Haxted Mill, Haxted Road, Lingfield, on the River Eden. This is the oldest mill in Surrey, the west half dating from circa 1680, being built on the foundations of the original 14th century mill; the east half was built in 1797. It is a weatherboarded mill, parts of which date from 1680 on earlier foundations. The three-pair mill ceased work in 1949, but the machinery is intact. The mill, with its external overshot wheel, has been restored and converted into a museum open to the public, with exhibits from demolished mills in the south of England.
The water from the River Eden is ponded to the rear of the mill but, unusually, the mill does not form part of it. The waterwheel is of cast iron, overshot, with a diameter of 10ft and a width of 8ft. The mill contains three pairs of French burr stones, but there is also in situ another pair located away from the upright shaft. This pair of stones was overdriven from a shaft off the crown wheel but, when put into operation, the extra power required brought the mill to a standstill; this pair of stones was promptly abandoned. Contrary to local tradition this is not a Domesday mill site. The first reference to a mill here is in 1361 when Reginald de Cobham left it to his wife, Joan. The Stanford family were major occupiers of the mill in the 18th and 19th centuries. The last miller was Thomas Stanford who died in 1944. The mill was purchased in 1949 and was opened as a museum in April 1966.
Watching brief by SCAU identified and recorded a large timber beam in the base of one of the foundation trenches of a new extension. The date of the beam is unclear, but it is possible that it acted as part of a revetment, which confined the flow of the river towards the water wheel that powered the mill. The beam has been preserved in situ on the site. (Also see SMR 11222, 11421)
- Form: BUILDING
- For more information contact: Surrey Sites and Monuments Record
- Related Objects:
- Related Places:
The online HER is not suitable for commercial use, as some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. Further Information. The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. Further Information.