Palaeolithic Mammal Remains: Alton Road Quarry, Farnham
Double click the dots in the left border to show/hide the side panel. The current record is shown in yellow.
- RefNo: 4131
- Reference Number: SHHER_4131
- Site Name: Palaeolithic Mammal Remains: Alton Road Quarry, Farnham
- Grid Reference: 482300 145100
- Description: The remains of a mammoth Blumenbach (two tusks) was the only mammal recorded from the Alton Road Quarry, Farnham. The location of the find was north of Westfield Lane, Wrecclesham, south of the railway, beside the old workings of Willey's Pit. Pleistocene deposits were exposed at the site in 1980, and plant macrofossils were dated by radiocarbon to 36,600 +/- 2400/1800 BP. The TL date obtained, however, suggests an earlier date.
- Form: FIND
- For more information contact: Surrey Sites and Monuments Record
- Related Places:
The online HER is not suitable for commercial use, as some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. Further Information. The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. Further Information.