LEIGH PLACE, Church Road, Leigh
Double click the dots in the left border to show/hide the side panel. The current record is shown in yellow.
- RefNo: 9067
- Reference Number: SHHER_9067
- Site Name: LEIGH PLACE, Church Road, Leigh
- Grid Reference: 522471 147287
- Description: House. 15th century, built by the Ardene Family, remodelled and extended in 17th century by Margaret Copeley, further extended in 18th century and then part demolished and altered in Gothic style by Richard Caffeyn Dentz in 1810. Timber framed, clad in red brick with tiled roofs, including some courses of patterned tiles; a wooden lantern to right of centre under lead-covered, ogee-domed roof and scrolled weathervane finial. T-shaped plan with wing to right. Two storeys; large front ridge stack to left of centre and offset stack to front of right hand gable end. Part rendered plinth to ground floor with plat band over ground floor. Offset buttresses under stone spike and ball finials to left end, either side of entrance, to right of centre and on angles of right hand gable. Two bargeboarded gables to front with pendant spike finials. One 3-light, triangular-head, diamond-pane leaded casement window on first floor of each gable under cambered heads with 4, triangular-head, light window to ground floor right, 3-light window to left. Battlemented entrance bay breaking forward to left of centre with triangular arch over ground floor. 17th century panelled oak door with scrolled carving and triangular transome light in strapwork surround to left of centre under arched, lead-covered hood with pendant spike finial and stop-chamfered angles to posts. Foiled carving to top with diamond panels in lintel ends. Right hand return front: whitewashed, with rendered plinth, and roughcast above. Outer, 3- light, Gothic style windows on first floor, 2-light casement to centre; 3-light outer casements to ground floor below. Central half-glazed door in gabled trellis porch. Buttress to right and wooden turret with clock-face to centre of roof.
Rear: gable to left with angle buttresses and centre stack. Parallel range to right with 20th century stack and mixed casement fenestration.
Interior: panelled rooms to ground floor right with ribbed ceilings. Thick frame exposed in lobby entry. Carved strapwork decoration on centre spine beam, triangular head panelling in ground floor rooms. Stone floor and deep brick fireplace with strapwork and lozenge-decorated lintel, palmette ends. Early 17th century staircase with scrolled and egg shaped balusters and sturdy strapwork-decorated newel post under sphere finial. Shallow 1/2 oval curved roof to first floor room with moulded wall plate and Strawberry Hill style panelling on walls. The house stands on a moated site and has associated Medieval Fishponds.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.342. V.C.H. (1911) Vol. III pp.210-11. SURREY ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTIONS VOL. II (1893) pp. 141-184 (Plans).
Listing NGR: TQ2247147287
- Form: EARTHWORK
- For more information contact: Surrey Sites and Monuments Record
- Related Places:
The online HER is not suitable for commercial use, as some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. Further Information. The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. Further Information.