CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, Church Lane, Headley
Double click the dots in the left border to show/hide the side panel. The current record is shown in yellow.
- RefNo: 9818
- Reference Number: SHHER_9818
- Site Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, Church Lane, Headley
- Grid Reference: 520506 154857
- Description: Church. 1855 nave and chancel by A. Salvin with tower of 1859 by G. E. Street. Flint rubble, coursed on nave, with stone and rendered dressings, knapped flint on tower and chancel. Slate roofs with wood shingled broach spire over tower. Tower to west, nave with porch to south and chancel to east with vestry on north. Three-stage tower with angle quoins and diagonal, offset buttresses to lower stage and roll moulding on angles of upper stages. Buttresses have short foliate-cap shafts on angles to upper part. One squat, 2-light louvred window in each face of top stage, with foliate ends to impost stringcourse. Central quatrefoil and trefoil heads to openings with two-step reveals. Two quatrefoil panels to each face of upper stage.
West face: clock face below with single fixed casement either side, two-light and cinque-foil roundel below under hood mould which continues as a stringcourse to sides. West door below in dog-tooth moulding with foliate end stops. Impost stringcourse continues to each side. Jamb shafts, with portrait heads and foliage roll mouldings, flank the double west doors. Lancet fenestration on remainder of church, both paired and single, in chamfered surrounds on buttressed nave. Paired lancets under hood moulds, sill stringcourse on chancel. Crucifixes to gable apexes of nave and chancel. Buttressed chancel with 5-light Decorated style east window. Gabled porch to south with hood moulding and chamfered surround to replacement studded door.
Interior: ached braced roof. Panelled walls. Glazed tower arch. Panelled chancel roof, the eastern two bays with cross ribs and bosses. Coved and billeted eaves to chancel with rosettes.
Fittings: 19th century. Piscina to south side of chancel. Simple panelled pulpit. Church font: octagonal bowl on wider plinth with turreted font cover under spherical finial.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) - p.312.
Listing NGR: TQ2050654857
- Form: EXTANT BUILDING
- For more information contact: Surrey Sites and Monuments Record
- Related Objects:
- Related Places:
The online HER is not suitable for commercial use, as some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. Further Information. The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. Further Information.