There are over forty museums in Surrey, covering various aspects of local history, social history and archaeology.
There are nearly 45,000 records of objects, documents and photographs on this site from a selection of Surrey’s museums.
Exploring Surrey’s Past makes available details of these items – where and how they were made, when, and who by. Some of the items are pictured. If you would like to find out more about an object, please use the links to contact a museum directly.
Museums currently involved in the project are:
- Bourne Hall Museum, Ewell– the whole catalogue, featuring objects telling the story of two thousand years of Epsom and Ewell.
- East Surrey Museum, Caterham – coin and postcard collections of the local history museum for the whole Tandridge District.
- Godalming Museum – the archive collection.
- Rural Life Centre, Tilford – the entire catalogue of this museum of village and rural life.
- The Lightbox, Woking – part of the catalogue of the Social History Collection of Woking’s new museum – many with images.
In addition, images and information from a project to record Coins and tokens in Surrey Museums is available.
The Surrey Museums website has full contact details for your local museum, and information on what they hold. Many museums hold events for all ages – please contact them directly for more information.