The extensive displays include objects of daily life – tools, toys, domestic items, wartime and leisure – mainly from Victorian times to the 1950s and some surprising finds from earlier periods. The collection covers all aspects of the history of the parish of Shere, which encompasses the villages of Shere, Gomshall, Peaslake, Holmbury St Mary and parts of Abinger. Visitors can browse the collection in a friendly and informal atmosphere; children are particularly welcome, volunteers are always on hand to answer any questions you may have.
We are very grateful to NADFAS for their work on cataloguing the collection and archives. The catalogue is available on the Museum’s database, which is not currently online, although we hope to achieve this in the future.
There is a collection of archival and reference material which includes old photographs, records, maps, society records, parish magazines – all of which are a rich resource for researching family and local history in the surrounding area. The archives have provided material for many exhibitions including the Parish Council Centenary exhibition, Shere Local History symposia, Shere School reunions, Red Cross and currently WI and Scouting exhibitions.
The archives are available for personal research by prior appointment. Alternatively, we welcome requests for information by email or post. A charge will be made for these services.
The extensive displays include objects of daily life – tools, toys, domestic items, wartime and leisure – mainly from Victorian times to the 1950s and some surprising finds from earlier periods. The collection covers all aspects of the history of the parish of Shere, which encompasses the villages of Shere , Gomshall, Peaslake, Holmbury St Mary and parts of Abinger.
- Tools: agricultural, trades, trade signs
- Domestic: dairy, laundry, kitchen; bathing
- Childhood: toys; games; schooldays
- Textiles: clothes, hats, accessories, fans, needlework
- Magic lanterns, film and photographic items
- Musical instruments and home entertainment
- Leisure activities: motoring; sports
- Local organisations: Temperance movement; Order of Foresters; WI; Girl Guides and Boy Scouts etc
- Models of Shere village, the Tillingbourne and the Manor House Lodge designed by Lutyens
Archives and Reference Material
- Local families, genealogy, notable people
- Societies and events
- Parish magazines from 1893
- Property: history and sales particulars
- Manorial history
- Maps, including a copy of the Tithe map for Shere
- Church and cemetery information files
- School: photographs, certificates, projects, publications
- World Wars 1914-18 and, 1939-45
- Photographs and artistic works of the area
- Local publications and general reference
- Shere, Gomshall and Peaslake Local History Society Records