The full terms and conditions of this website can be downloaded as a PDF.
Exploring Surreys Past adheres strictly to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, any subsequent statutory instruments and related legislation. By submitting your contribution to this site, you warrant that such contribution is:
- Your own original work
- That you have the right to make it available for the purposes specified above
- Not defamatory
- Does not infringe any law
You also agree to indemnify Exploring Surreys Past, any of its partners or Surrey County Council against all legal fees, damages and other expenses that may be incurred as a result of your breach of the above warranty.
All content is contributed in compliance with a Creative Commons Deed http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/uk/
In essence this means:
Partners own the copyright in their contributions but they also agree to grant the project a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sublicense right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, play, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to any such work worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any media now known or later developed.
The project agrees to attribute and acknowledge the source where content is used.
By submitting your content to this site, you also warrant that you have read and agreed with the guidance document Copyright and Content Providers [PDF].
By using the site, you confirm that you agree to the following copyright restrictions on data held on this site:
- Copyright is reserved on the data held within the Surrey Historic Environment Record (HER). The data may be used for personal research without charge but all output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as ‘compiled by and copyright of Surrey County Council Heritage Conservation Team’.
- The online HER is intended to be used for personal research only. Data may be used for personal use only but it may not in any way of trade or otherwise, be lent, sold or re-sold, hired out or otherwise circulated without the prior consent of Surrey County Council Heritage Conservation Team, Surrey Heritage, Surrey County Council, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, GU21 6ND.
- Copyright is reserved on data held by Surrey History Centre. The data from catalogues and archives made available on this site is for personal, non-commercial research only. Permission to reproduce material from this site in any publication requires written permission from Surrey History Centre.
Image and database copyright is reserved by all database owners for data made available on this site. All photos on Exploring Surrey’s Past are copyright their respective owners.
By using the online search facilities you are agreeing to abide by the following Terms and Conditions. We reserve the right to change or amend these Terms and Conditions without prior notice.
The Historic Environment Record (HER)
- If you are searching the HER for commercial reasons, please note that the online database is not the complete HER and is not authorised for commercial use. Some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. It has also not been possible to digitise all information and reports in our extensive archive, and a backlog of site information exists. If you have a commercial query you are strongly advised to contact the Surrey HER Officer to arrange to consult the full HER archive.
- The online HER is not suitable for assembling information for development control purposes, agri-enviroment schemes, constructing management policy or any other commercial use. All consultants for such work should contact the HER Officer directly at Surrey Heritage, Surrey County Council, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, GU21 6ND.
- Please note that the online database is not the complete HER: some information has been withheld from online publication for reasons of confidentiality or protection of sensitive sites. It has also not been possible to digitise all information and reports in our extensive archive.
- If you have an academic or research query, you may benefit from consulting the HER directly in order to consult the full HER database and archive. Contact the HER Officer directly at Surrey Heritage, Surrey County Council, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, GU21 6ND.
- The online HER data may be used for personal research without charge but all output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as compiled by and copyright of Surrey County Council Heritage Conservation Team.
- Every effort is taken to ensure the accuracy of the information held on the HER, but as the HER can only be as accurate as the sources used in its compilation, the HER cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies in the data. Surrey County Council and any of its officers cannot accept responsibility for any omissions or consequences of errors and will not accept any claims for negligence or compensation.
- Archaeological research is a continual process and as such any information held on the HER is subject to revision and updating and should not be taken as the definitive statement of these records.
- The absence of data in certain areas should not be taken as an absence of archaeological features: it may be that a lack of prior research means that significant archaeological material has yet to be reported to the HER.
- It is not possible to guarantee the whereabouts of any aerial photographs, artefacts, documentary sources or other material referred to, but not kept with the HER.
- Information obtained from the HER must not be used to the detriment of the historic environment and the HER information may be withdrawn if this occurs.
- The inclusion of a site in the database in no way implies that public access is available. The vast majority of sites (including Scheduled Monuments) and buildings are on private land and have no public access. No responsibility or liability can be accepted by Surrey County Council or any of its officers for any consequence or personal injury by any third parties howsoever arising and no claims for compensation or negligence will be accepted.
- The information within the computerised and online HER is of varying dates and origins. Whilst every effort has been made to compile an accurate record, it should not be regarded as definitive and the original sources should be consulted if necessary.
- There may be information concerning existing or newly discovered archaeological sites which have, as yet, not been added to the master database and online HER.
- Due to data protection some information contained within the HER may be omitted from the online database.
- HER data represented on the interactive map is for illustrative purposes only and does not represent an accurate or complete representation of archaeological sites or features.
- Surrey County Council cannot be held responsible for the misuse or misinterpretation of any mapped information and accepts no liability for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of reliance on the resource.
Other partner databases
- Please note that other online databases provided on this site may not be the complete offline versions, as it may not have been possible to digitise all information held in a catalogue or archive.
- If you have a specific academic or research query, you may benefit from consulting a data owner directly in order to make a more focused enquiry. Contact links are provided from each record page to directly contact the data owner.
Surrey County Council cannot be held responsible for the misuse or misinterpretation of any information held by Exploring Surreys Past and accepts no liability for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of reliance on the resource.
Our registration process requires you to supply us with your email details, but we will only use this information for service administration purposes.
However, we may also wish to contact a small number of contributors to ask them to participate in any publicity or other activity associated with the website.
Only authorised administrators can see user profiles but cannot see your password or other personal information and we will never pass on your personal details to any other third party.
Surrey County Council complies with the 1998 Data Protection Act.