The Amazing World of Alice in Wonderland
Edward Wakeling published the first volume of a complete and unabridged version of Carroll’s private journal, with the permission of the trustees of the C.L. Dodgson estate.
The centenary of Lewis Carroll’s death.
An extended series of events in May 1998 marked the Guildford centenary of Carroll’s death, including:
Thurs 7 7.30pm Lewis Carroll in Music and Words – Guildford High School
Fri 8 8.00pm Opera through the Looking Glass – Clandon Park House
8.00pm Crocodiles in Cream, Kevin Moore’s acclaimed evocation of Carroll’s life and work – the Mill Studio at the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre
Sat 9 11am Lewis Carroll’s Guildford – guided walk
2.00pm Grand Snark Hunt – Town Wharf
Mon 11 8.00pm Alice through the Camera Lens, with Circle 8 Films – Electric Theatre
Weds 13 2.00pm Short Walk/Ramble to Carroll Sites
8.00pm Alice (1988) – Lecture Theatre G, University of Surrey
Sun 17 10.30am Wreath laying at Mount Cemetery
11.15am Church Service at St Mary’s
1.00pm Literary Lunch, speaker: Professor Morton Cohen – Guildhall
St Mary’s Church
St Mary’s Church played an important role in Lewis Carroll’s life. His family attended regularly, his sister Mary was married to Charles Collingwood there in 1869, and Carroll himself preached from the pulpit on at least eight occasions between 1887 and 1897. As part of the commemoration in 1998, a plaque was unveiled to honour him.
Festival Service programme, the text reads:
ST MARY’S CHURCH, GUILDFORD
Festival Service to Commemorate the Centenary of the Death of the Rev’d Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, 1832-1898
Sunday 17th May, 11.15am
The Revd Robert Cotton, Rector
Mr Steven Salmon, Organist
The service began with a reading of Revelation 4: 1-11, by Anne Clark Amor, Chairman of the Lewis Carroll Society, followed by an organ interlude (the Adagio from Mendelssohn’s 2nd Sonata) and a further reading of Lewis Carroll’s ‘Easter Greeting to Every Child who Loves Alice, Easter 1876’.
White Rabbit Statue, Guildford
Alice, her sister and the Rabbit can be found by the side of the River Wey, in Guildford. An article in Surrey Life magazine explains its history:
‘The statue was made by Edwin Russell, a local sculptor, in 1984,’ says Mary Alexander, collections officer at Guildford Museum and Guildford House Gallery. ‘It was given to the town by Arundel House Securities who had developed Westbury House, over the road from the sculpture, and was unveiled on July 11, 1984, by the town’s MP at the time, David Howell.’
The sculpture was created in clay and then moulded in plaster and cast in fibreglass. It was then sent to a foundry in London to be cast in bronze, taking three months to make.
‘The girls who posed for it were friends of the artist’s daughters,’ says Mary. ‘The rabbit was chosen from 500 white rabbits on a farm and lived with the sculptor’s family.’
Read More about the White Rabbit Statue in Guildford here.
This sculpture of Alice through the Looking-Glass can be found in a walled garden of the Castle grounds, near the Chestnuts. It was created by Jeanne Argent, based on her daughter, Anne, and installed in 1990.
Karoline Leach’s book In The Shadow of the Dreamchild argued against popular speculation that Lewis Carroll was in love with Alice Liddell, and suggested instead that he had a romantic affair with Alice’s mother, Lorina Liddell.