Situated on the Surrey side of the River Thames and opposite Hampton Court Park where the river takes a wide loop to the south. It forms a tightly knit settlement with a complex, local road pattern, which makes it more roadside than riverside.
Thames Ditton has an interesting industrial history. In 1874, a bronze foundry was built in Summer Road by Cox and Company, celebrated Victorian ecclesiastical craftsmen and furnishers, specifically for the casting of statues. A series of important commissions were undertaken and included Cromwell (outside the House of Commons), Dr. Livingstone (Glasgow) and Captain Cook (Sydney, Australia). Production ceased in 1939 and the craftsmen were dispersed into war work.
- Thames Ditton Virtual Village website
- Thames Ditton and West Green Residents’ Association website has a range of useful resources