Weybridge is named because it was a crossing point of the River Wey which flows into the Thames nearby. The building of Oatlands Palace was begun by Henry VIII in 1537. In the early 19th century the Oatlands estate belonged to Frederick, Duke of York (1763-1827), a son of George III.
The Wey Navigation canal was built in 1653 by Richard Weston of Sutton Place, with the aim of making better trade links between this part of Surrey and the growing city of London. The modern era began in Weybridge when the London to Southampton railway opened in 1838, giving people who lived in Weybridge quick access to London.
A large number of housing developments followed in the 20th century, especially on the still fashionable and exclusive St George’s Hill. Many houses were built there by the well known local builder and developer W G Tarrant.
Click here to see the catalogue of the St James, Weybridge, Parish Records (1686-1954) held at the Surrey History Centre.