Bishops Gate and Lodge was built in 1860. It was once the tradesmens entrance but now is the main entrance to Horsley Towers. A second archway (seen in the distance) once led into the estate yard and a left-hand turning to the Old Home Farm. The right-hand turning at the end of the drive now leads to the main entrance.
The original gateway had a central arch, now removed for the convenience of large vehicles. The second archway led to the estate yard where the blacksmiths shop and the carpenters shop were located, also the stables and the houses of the gardeners and grooms.
The driveway through the estate yard continued under a tunnel beneath the main gardens of the house and led to the kitchen yard. The Lodge cottage on the left of the gateway was usually occupied by the chief estate carpenter and the smaller building on the right was used to store timber.