These two cottages were collectively known as Red Roses, but the left-hand one is now called Tower Cottage. They were obviously in two builds because the dates 1862 and 1867 appear on them at opposite ends. The brickwork is in Flemish bond, not Rat Trap bond as in Lovelaces Ockham buildings. It is possible that Tower Cottage, at least, was already in existence, and was merely added on to and decorated with the string course of roses.
The cottages were on the site of the old forge and the village carpenters shop, which were both moved into the stable yard at Horsley Towers.