Situated in the Tillingbourne Valley below Hackhurst Downs where the valley bottom has begun to broaden, Abinger Hammer sits astride the main road (A25) about 6 miles west of Dorking.
There was an iron forge here and the iron mill was the second oldest in Surrey in records of 1557 and was the last Surrey forge to be rated as ‘iron works’ down to 1797. Some masonry from the sluice gates remains. The associated pond was fairly large and although now reduced in area, has for many years been part of the local watercress beds.
The church was badly damaged by a flying bomb in 1944. The village has never been of any size and is perhaps best known for the Clock House of 1891. The clock placed in the turret was erected at the expense of the local inhabitants with a major proportion of the cost borne by Sir Thomas Farrer, who had been Permanent Secretary at the Board of Trade from 1865 to 1886. He was later created Baron Farrer of Abinger and his principal residence was Abinger Hall. Archives of the Farrer family are held at Surrey History Centre.
Click here to see the catalogue of the St James, Abinger, Parish Records (1559-1979) held at the Surrey History Centre.
Click here to see the catalogue of the Abinger Civil Parish Records (1701-c1940) held at the Surrey History Centre.