This L-shaped parish, with the village in the north part, is situated south of the main Reigate-Dorking road (A25). The parish has always been crossed by east-west routes but the form of the village has been most influenced by the north-south route off the Downs at Pebble Coombe. The village grew as a tight cluster of buildings around the church at the north side of the river crossing, closely related to the Betchworth House estate. Henry Goulburn (1784-1856), statesman and Chancellor of the Exchequer, lived at Betchworth House. Many of his papers, including correspondence with the Duke of Wellington, the victor of the Battle of Waterloo, and the Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel, are held at Surrey History Centre.
St. Michael’s Church stands at the southern end of Church Street. Parts date back to the 11th century, but the majority is 13th century work with restorations of 1851 and 1870. The southern part of the village has changed little in the last 100 years or more, while the northern end has seen some modest development and infilling of the grounds of the substantial Victorian houses.
Click here to see the catalogue of the St Michael, Betchworth, Parish Records (1558-1922) held at the Surrey History Centre.
Betchworth railway station, less than a mile to the north, opened in 1849.
- Betchworth Castle – ruins of a medieval fortified manor and 18th century house made into a romantic ruin.
- Lime Kilns at Betchworth Quarry. The site was operated for many years by the Dorking Greystone Lime Company