About half a mile south of the main road A25 and 2 miles east of Dorking lies the village of Brockham, at a crossing point of the River Mole. The historic village surrounds a large triangular green with the parish church on the south. The road to the river crossing runs from the north-west corner. The name Brockham is probably a reference to Tanners Brook which joins the Mole just north of the green; the ham part indicating a homestead or settlement.
In the 13th century Brockham was in the possession of the de Warenne family and remained in the hands of the Earls of Warenne and Surrey as late as 1609. Henry T Hope of Deepdene, Dorking, purchased the manor in 1844.
The green is the important feature of the village with the many buildings of interest in attractive groups around the sides and on the approaches. The range of properties along the north is particularly valuable and offers perhaps the best-known view from across the green with the North Downs as an impressive backcloth.