A market was established in Dorking by the twelfth century. It was centred between Butter Hill and Pump Corner. West Street runs from the early market place out towards the villages to the west of the town. Together with South Street, which runs to the villages in the south from Pump Corner, it formed the y-shape that sits at the centre of Dorking. At the heart of the town, the street has been home to numerous businesses over the centuries.
William Mullins early seventeenth century house is at numbers 58-61; an eighteenth century weather-boarded building with bays is at number 16, and two other eighteenth century buildings at numbers 32 and 33.
There was an Independent Congregational Church house in the street until 1834, which was replaced by the Italianate United Reform Church designed by Dorking architect and builder, William Shearburn. The church is still in use.
Part of a one-way system, West Street is now a conservation area. It retains a pleasing mix of small frontages. Many of the shops are in the antique business.
Dorking and District Museum and its archives can be found at The Old Foundry, 62 West Street.