At the Domesday Survey of 1086 both Westcott and Milton were manors separate from Dorking, although later they were boroughs of the town. The ecclesiastical parish was only formed in 1852.
Westcott lies about 1 miles west of Dorking, with the main Guildford Road meandering through the centre. A minor route joins it from the north and there is a small triangular green. The place was never more than a small roadside village associated with local agriculture and the passing trade of the main road. The Victorian period saw the growth of the village and since then there has been considerable expansion out from the small, historic centre to give a larger but compact modern residential area. The part alongside the main road and around the green retains many buildings of interest. Holy Trinity church was built by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1852. Churchgate House dates from the 16th century.