Part of this commuter village is in the north-eastern corner of the county and the rest is in the London Borough of Croydon, which administers Chipstead Valley Primary School. Neighbouring villages include Woodmansterne, Banstead, Coulsdon, Hooley and Kingswood.
Chipstead appears in Domesday Book as Tepestede. It was held by William de Wateville. Its Domesday assets were 3 hides, 7 ploughs, 1 mill worth 1, and woodland worth 5 hogs. It paid 8. The village lay within the Reigate hundred.
The 2001 census area of Chipstead, Hooley and Woodmansterne has a population of 6,912. Today Chipstead does not have a clearly defined village centre; there are several small areas of economic activity in a leafy, largely residential area.
The village is home to many societies, some of which are linked to the ancient parish church, St Margaret’s. Another focal point of the village is a small parade of shops, near to the station.
Click here to see the catalogue of the St Margaret, Chipstead, Parish Records and Chipstead Civil Parish Records (1656-1953) held at the Surrey History Centre.