East Surrey Hospital, Redhill

Commemoration Plaque, John Walters M.B. Hospital Founder and Medical Officer 1866 to 1904

Commemoration Plaque, John Walters M.B.
Hospital Founder and Medical Officer 1866 to 1904

Reigate Cottage Hospital was founded in 1866 by Dr John Walters, a leading physician at Reigate, and his partner Dr Constantine Holman. Money was raised by subscription to convert two cottages in North Albert Road to a six bed hospital with a nurse-matron and a woman to help with domestic duties. The medical staff was honorary and for many years consisted solely of Dr Walters. In 1871 a new hospital, renamed the Reigate and Redhill Hospital, was built on the northern edge of Redhill Common to accommodate 12 patients and by 1925 the hospital had been enlarged to accommodate 82 patients. Around 1923 the name was changed to the East Surrey Hospital. The hospital moved to its present site on Three Arch Road in 1983.

In 1911 a contributory scheme was established by which working men could assist the East Surrey Hospital at Redhill and secure their own free treatment there, by subscribing 1d a week. The scheme was supported by the employees of many local businesses. In 1942 it became the East Surrey Hospital Contributory Scheme: see 2833

A scheme to fund a new building to be known as the Reigate and Redhill War Memorial Hospital on a site called Highlands on the north east of Wray Common eventually failed in November 1920, due to lack of funds: see 6818/3

On the formation of the National Health Service in 1948 the management of East Surrey Hospital was taken over by the Redhill Group Hospital Management Committee (for minutes, 1948-1964, see 6197/4/-) under the South-West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. In 1964 the Redhill Group HMC was replaced by the Redhill and Netherne Group HMC (for minutes, 1964-1973, see 6197/3/-). In 1973 the hospital came within the East Surrey District of the newly created Surrey Area Health Authority (for minutes, 1973-1982, see 6197/1/-). From 1982, on the abolition of the Surrey Area Health Authority, the hospital’s management became the responsibility of the East Surrey Health Authority and more recently the Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust.

"The East Surrey Hospital opened by The Prime Minister The Rt Hon Mrs Margaret Thatcher FRS MP on 3rd August 1984"

“The East Surrey Hospital opened by The Prime Minister
The Rt Hon Mrs Margaret Thatcher FRS MP on 3rd August 1984″

The following are images of various plaques related to East Surrey Hospital and its predecessors.

Memorial Plaques (click on an image to see a larger version)

Sponsored Bed and Ward Plaques (click on an image to see a larger version)

Local philanthropists made signifiant contributions to the running and upkeep of the Hospital, one in particular was Sir Jeremiah Colman, 1st Baronet DL (24 April 1859 – 16 January 1942), an industrialist who developed Colman’s Mustard into an international business. Sir Jeremiah was High Sheriff of Surrey from 1893 to 1894, became Lieutenant of the City of London and was created a baronet in 1907. In 1888 he purchased Gatton Park, a country estate in Surrey. At Gatton Park he created one of the largest collections of orchids in the country. He was also keen on cricket and from 1916 to 1923 he was President of Surrey County Cricket Club.

"The Entire cost of re-flooring this hospital and the provision of new beds was defrayed by Mr Jeremiah Colman J.P., D.L. in celebration of the coming of age of his son Mr Jeremiah Colman Junr Jan 1st 1907"

“The Entire cost of re-flooring this hospital and the provision of new beds was defrayed by Mr Jeremiah Colman J.P., D.L. in celebration of the coming of age of his son Mr Jeremiah Colman Junr Jan 1st 1907”

The images have been re-sized for display on the website and are not reproduced to scale.

Any information regarding the people or organisations named on the plaques or the history of the plaques would be greatly appreciated and comments can be left on the form at the bottom of the page.

At the present time these plaques are not on public display but the Hospital Authorities are looking at options to preserve them for the future.

All the images are reploduced with the kind permission of Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust. All images courtesy of P Cooper, Surrey Heritage.

The help of all the Trust staff involved in locating the plaques is greatly appreciated.