Situated at about 575 feet above sea level, on the north side of the North Downs, Walton on the Hill is some 5 miles south of Epsom with Walton and Epsom Downs in between and with Banstead Heath to the east. Walton Heath was the site of a Roman villa.
The church of St. Peter was largely restored in the 19th century but retains many interesting features. The piscina and sedilia are good examples of 15th century work, but the 12th century font is perhaps the most important item and is thought to be the oldest of its type in Britain. John Hassell painted a watercolour of the church in 1824.
The nearby Walton Manor incorporates the remains of a stone-built house of c.1340, which is visible internally and comprises a two-storey hall and chapel; it is the only house of its type in Surrey. In the grounds is an Ancient Monument, the remains of a Norman motte or mound.
From 1900 there was a relatively large increase in residential development, which has continued, particularly to the south of the historic centre with large houses in substantial grounds. During the latter half of the 19th century local people had fought hard to prevent the loss of common rights and the threat of residential development over wide areas, and the character and setting of Walton on the Hill owes much to these actions. Part of the heathland is now home to Walton Heath Golf Club.