This is an old village lying on high ground south-west of Egham and on the edge of Windsor Forest. Closeness to Windsor and the facility of a good road encouraged the gentry to build homes north of the green and some of the larger properties at one time had grazing rights for sheep and cattle on the green. The open area remains in the ownership of the Crown Estate Commissioners but is leased to the District Council.
The Englefield Green National Schools were built in 1827 by subscription, including 50 from King George IV, ‘who had been graciously pleased to consider himself a parishioner’ of Egham. St Jude’s church was built in 1859.
Click here to see the catalogue of the St Jude’s, Englefield Green Parish Records (1860 -1930) held at the Surrey History Centre.
Nearby was seen the last fatal duel to be fought in England in 1852, between two French exiles. The victim was carried to and died at the Barley Mow public house on the south side of the green.